Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Writer's Almanac & the best way to spend 5 minutes

If you did not already know, I am a sucker for NPR (National Public Radio). The days when I would drive to or from work, I would look forward to spending time with Steve Inskeep, Melissa Block, Michele Norris, Robert Siegel, Terri Gross and the others. There were times, when I would just sit in the car even after reaching my destination, waiting for a story to finish. There were times when I had completely missed my exit listening to Fresh Air with Terri Gross. Anyway, the five minutes that I would crave the most and would time my drive home around these five minutes was the "Writer's Almanac" by Garrison Keillor. It's a 5 minutes daily episode about writers, or poets or other literary fellas who were born that day, or died that day or did something of importance on that date. Sounds dull, innit? Only until you hear it! Garrison Keillor usually narrates a poem at the end of the opening narration of the historical account of writers from that date and then ends the episode with his registered trademark line:
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.®
In Harrisburg, the Writer's Almanac would be aired at 7 PM and it would mostly coincide with my drive home on weekdays. Now, I walk to work and the timing of the show does not match. I end up reading the script at the show's website, but it's not the same, is it? The voice in my head when I read it does not sound remotely like Garrison Keillor. His rendition of "Be well, do good work, and keep in touch" line is just what I need to end my work day, any work day. It instills the right dose of hope and goodness to all that we do in a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[... ] is other relavant source on this topic[...]