Friday, May 30, 2008

Bachpan ke din

In early 2007, while in India, I visited Sewagram, a small village near Nagpur. This place is famous for an Ashram of Mahatma Gandhi. It was a hot April afternoon and there were not many visitors at the Ashram. I had the whole premises to myself. It's a very peaceful, simple and a quiet place. Regardless of what your opinions are about Gandhi, it's quite a humbling experience to see the lifestyle of this man who shook the mighty English empire.

Anyway, as I was browsing through Ba Kuti (Kasturba Gandhi's hut), I came across a bunch of little kids who were also spending the afternoon at the Ashram. They were from a nearby school and their teacher had left them on their own in the Ashram for a little while. I started chatting with them and they were quite intrigued by the camera hanging around my neck. I happened to capture some photos using my less than amateurish photographic skills. I feel that their expressions conveyed a lack of any judgment, opinion and bias. Their smiling faces are simple and pure. If you look at pictures of adults, you can see a hint (sometimes more than a hint) of the corruption from our experiences while growing up. Adulthood robs all of us from this "simplicity". I guess this is what is called "The loss of innocence".






3 comments:

Blue Bike said...

rightly said RC!
I'd like to quote Kapil Dev here ... "simplicity mein bhi ek adbhut shakti hoti hain" :)

kautilya said...

good point about opinion, judgment and bias.
Apart from experiences, it also has a lot to do with the sources of information that one is exposed to and that you grow up reading.. Looking at the trend these days its not hard to guess where most "youngsters" get their best read from :)

Blue Bike said...

Tagged!