Monday, May 15, 2006

1984

There is something about this year!
- I was in my 9th year on this planet
- Our new house in the upcoming suburbs of Nagpur was almost built
- Mrs Indira Gandhi had successfully managed to foil the Khalistan uprisin, incurring a tremendous wrath of the Sikh community - courtesy Operation Blue Star
- My school was changing buildings
- We decided to move-in to the new house on 1st November...I was much thrilled
- Mrs Gandhi the iron woman was assasinated on 31st October....
- Everyone was afraid....my father was shaken...its a big deal you know to see your father AFRAID
- Even a 9 year old could feel the tension and the uncertainity around
- Lots of Sikhs were killed I hear, Aajoba (granpa) and Aaji (granma) would say..its 1947 all over again....
- We moved in regardless, there was no celebration...the vaastu-pooja was a low key affair
- On the positive side , there were wide open spaces around the house, we could run as far as possible, the airport was so close we could see the planes land and take off: it was the coolest thing
- Then came December and my cousins came to stay with us from Bhopal...there was some kind of a gas leak you see....was very bad for their health I was told!
- Then came 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988........
- 1984 remains a very strange year for me.

More on this later.

No comments: